It's everywhere, isn't it? On the TV, the radio, billboards, the checkout line at the store...all sorts of gimmicks saying "hey! lookie here! I'm yummy and delicious! Eat me! Eat me! EAT ME DAMNIT!!"
I went to Walmart today to pick up a few things for our camping trip this weekend. I wasn't hungry, but had to talk myself out of quite a few yummy treats (having mother nature visit doesn't help much either). Everything looked soooooo good! And boy, did I ever want to give in. I've been eating very healthy lately, trying to bust through the eternal plateau I was on. I did, but my weight loss has been very slow lately. So any bit of junk food slows me down to a halt. I don't want to hit another plateau and certainly don't want to gain, but my inner fat bitch is still dying to come out. Curse her.
The checkout line almost got me today. I was starting to get hungry, and I thought maybe I'd pick up something "not too junky" at the checkout line. I, unfortunately, have this wonderful curse that runs in my family we call "line jinx." Basically that means that whatever line I get in, it WILL be the longest line. Happens every time without fail. So of course hop on a somewhat shorter line, and the lady is taking forever. Great, more time for me to resist tempation. I eyed up the candy and chips and other yummy treats screaming at me for my attention. Candy? No, I need to watch my sugar. Chips? MAJOR trigger food. Beef jerky? Probably a healthier option, but $3.50 for a small bag?!? You've got to be kidding me! I finally settled on a bag of smoked almonds, figuring they would give me some protein and be healthier than the Cheetos that were calling my name. Seemed healthy enough, right? I stuck them in my cart for a minute or two, then out of curiousity decided to check the label to see just exactly what was about to put in my body. 250 calories, eh I can live with that. 22 GRAMS OF FAT!?!?!? Whoa buddy!!! I put those almonds back faster than a baby spits up bad milk. I didn't even look at the rest of the label. I was shocked that the "healthy" option was indeed not so healthy. I decided I could wait 15 minutes until I got home and would eat the leftover salad in my fridge.
As I sit here eating my delicious, healthy salad, I'm thinking about all the times I've given into temptation and how it contributed to my weight gain. A candy bar here, a bag of chips there, and before you know it you're twice the person you used to be. Do those snacks in the checkout aisle offer any real satisfaction, not to mention nutrition? The answer my friends is a big fat NO. Did I want a snack because I needed it? Nope. I am perfectly satisfied with my salad. Besides, when you can only eat 1 cup of food at a time, you need to spend those calories wisely.
I think it's time to go back to the days when I planned out my daily meals. Do we need to eat snacks? Probably. I always find myself needing something in the late afternoon hours. But if I plan a healthy snack, like a protein bar or an apple I'm less likely to go raid the vending machine. Plus, planning out my meals gives me room to allow myself treats. It is perfectly OK to have a cookie now and then, but the key is to plan it and do it in moderation. I don't believe in depriving yourself of anything, but allowing yourself small treats now and then helps to resist the temptation around us. And baby, it's all over the place!
"Don't let the world trick you into thinking you need what its got to be happy. Satisfaction comes from something the world cannot provide." -Unknown
No comments:
Post a Comment