Over the weekend I celebrated the anniversary of my Lap Band surgery. We in the Lap Band world call that a "Bandiversary." ;) But to me, it is so much more than just a surgery date. It was the beginning of a new life, I almost consider it a new birthday. Before August 7, 2009, I was as good as dead. I wasn't living life, although I tried to convince myself I was. I was just going through the motions which was quite painful in itself. So this morning I began to think about the past year and how much I have changed. Sure, I've lost a lot of weight, but I've gained so much more.
A year ago today...
- I couldn't walk up one flight of stairs without being out of breath.
- I couldn't run. At all.
- My brain was cloudy and I sometimes found it hard to think about every day things.
- I couldn't fit in a restaurant booth without some slick maneuvering (and some of them I couldn't fit in at all).
- I was wearing size 28W clothing...my largest size ever (about a year before surgery) was a 32W.
- Shopping in regular stores was out of the question. My choices were Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, or Catherine's. If I was lucky, I might find something in the plus size section of Walmart or Target.
- I had trouble finding shoes because my foot was so fat. Not only was it wide, but my instep was huge, making it incredibly difficult to find shoes. I mostly wore crocks.
- I wore a size 10 ring.
- Shorts and skirts were completely out of the question.
- The thought of going to an amusement park terrified me for two reasons: I couldn't fit in any of the rides, and walking around all day was almost impossible.
- I couldn't keep up with friends walking around a shopping mall.
- Movie theaters made me uncomfortable because, depending on the size of the seats, I wasn't sure I would fit...and even if I did I spilled over and took up both arm rests.
- I used almost the entire length of the seat belt in the car. My seat was positioned all the way back. This was because my rump was so large it pushed me forward on the seat.
- I had discoloration on parts of my skin that rubbed together, and horrible feet.
- I was on medication for a pre-diabetic condition called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
- I had frequent headaches.
- I was tired all the time.
- I had Sleep Apnea and had to use a CPAP (breathing) machine at night.
- Men didn't even give me a second glance. If they did, they were probably making fun of me. The thought of being in a relationship terrified me.
A Year Later...
- I walk up and down stairs with ease. Sometimes when I'm carrying stuff, I think about how much the stuff weighs and how I was carrying all that extra weight up and down the stairs all the time. No wonder I couldn't breathe!
- I can run about 2 minutes at a time. Not great, but it's a start. I'm working toward running a 5K in December and darn it, I'm gonna do it!
- I exercise regularly and I LOVE it!
- I think much more clearly and am not as forgetful.
- I prefer booths at restaurants.
- I can shop in regular stores and I don't have to go to the plus size section!!!! :) Old Navy is my favorite store. I could go into Lane Bryant if I wanted to, but after all those years when I HAD to shop there, why the heck would I want to now?
- I am currently wearing a size 18, or an XL. Getting very close to a 16!
- Shoes? Not a problem. I don't wear wide widths anymore in most styles. I look for cute heels and recently bought my first pair of women's running shoes (I used to just buy men's because they are made wider). Now if we could only do something about the length of my huge size 11 foot...
- I CURRENTLY WEAR A SIZE 7 RING! (bolded and in all caps to ensure my wonderful boyfriend doesn't miss this one. I love you honey!) :)
- I wear skirts all the time.
- I haven't been to an amusement park yet, but I can't wait to go! I can't wait to ride roller coasters again, walk around all day, and enjoy being a tourist instead of an employee. ;)
- My friends tell me I move faster. I'm not lagging behind and people don't have to wait up for me.
- Movie theaters are no problem.
- I've had to move my car seat up several times because my butt is getting smaller. Whoohoo! I've also noticed that I sit a bit lower in the car, as I've had to adjust my rearview mirror.
- My feet look a lot better and all my skin discoloration is gone.
- I am off my pre-diabetic meds.
- Symptoms of PCOS have started to decrease. It is a condition I will always have to live with, but it can lay dormant without symptoms. That is where I want to get to!
- Along with the PCOS symptoms waning, and this may be TMI, but my periods are lighter and more regular.
- I have a lot more energy, don't get headaches often, and sleep a lot better.
- I no longer use a CPAP machine.
- Men have told me I'm pretty, beautiful, attractive, even hot! And I'm not even to my goal yet!
- I have an amazing boyfriend who treats me incredibly well. He may even spoil me a little bit.
Also...
- I've lost 106 pounds since my surgery. That's about the size of my sister-in-law. I've lost a whole sister-in-law!
- From my highest weight, I've lost 138 pounds. Now that's easily a whole person! Wowsers!
What a difference a year makes! I have a whole new outlook on life. I LOVE LIFE!!! I used to yearn for days when I could sit on the couch and do nothing. I wanted to just lay around and sleep all the time, and wished that there was a way I didn't have to work. Now I get antsy and can't just sit around and do nothing. Even when I'm relaxing, I'm doing something. Crafting, crocheting, surfing the web...always something. My brain is sometimes in super mode. I love going out and doing things and really love being active. I want to run a 5k for crying out loud...WHAT?!? I must be crazy, but I love it! Family and friends have told me that my whole attitude has changed. Before I was miserable, short and nasty with people, and always angry. Now I am happy, I've learned that some things are out of my control and it takes a lot to get me angry (of course, that Polish temper will always be there thanks to genetics. haha). It has been a year of learning and growing (or shrinking as the case may be) and I am not the person I was a year ago. I don't even recognize her. The new me is so much better, and I am still learning about who I am. I am much more comfortable in my own skin (literally) and more confident. Life is FABULOUS! :)
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
Congrats Ade! You'll be able to do the 5K. I'm getting there, and you will too. Keep up the good work. And remember, we'll never be where we were before! :-)
ReplyDeleteLove this post Ade -- you're gonna rock that 5k!
ReplyDelete~Karis